Why do enterprises buy the computers that they buy

Both large firms I've worked for always buy crappy hp computers that they then re-image themselves. My question is why? Generally the prices they pay are substantially more than a consumer laptop, and the processors are junk. Usually its an underpowered model from 3-8 years ago. What is HP offering them that cheaper, high performance option isn't?

Additional question 1: I've heard that dedicated encryption chips are needed for enterprise solutions. Is this actually the case. It seems like I can encrypt any hard drive?

Q2: Network control? I've never managed a whitelist only network, but it feels like my companies with HP enterprise have zero ability to audit their network anyways to verify what computers on on it.

Q3: Hardware/software compatibility- even with an "HP only network" these companies routinely have 5-8 year old computers on the network that are going to have compatibility with modern software. I seem to have very few if any compatibility issues at home with a decent computer and common office /adobe suite programs. I have wayyyyyyy more problems at work with poorly made ISO image installed software.

Q4: Warranty Support? I'm one week 3, laptop 3 of an IT issue. Meanwhile I hear way better things from smaller companies using stipend BYOB and extended warranties at best buy.

​

I'm assuming there's some magic I'm not aware of behind the scenes? Or is HP just offering BJs to CTOs?

submitted by /u/Rabidgoosie
[link] [comments]

from IT https://ift.tt/2PwGsEj

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.