Why do enterprises buy the computers that they buy

Both large firms I've worked for always buy crappy hp computers that they then re-image themselves. My question is why? Generally the prices they pay are substantially more than a consumer laptop, and the processors are junk. Usually its an underpowered model from 3-8 years ago. What is HP offering them that cheaper, high performance option isn't?

Additional question 1: I've heard that dedicated encryption chips are needed for enterprise solutions. Is this actually the case. It seems like I can encrypt any hard drive?

Q2: Network control? I've never managed a whitelist only network, but it feels like my companies with HP enterprise have zero ability to audit their network anyways to verify what computers on on it.

Q3: Hardware/software compatibility- even with an "HP only network" these companies routinely have 5-8 year old computers on the network that are going to have compatibility with modern software. I seem to have very few if any compatibility issues at home with a decent computer and common office /adobe suite programs. I have wayyyyyyy more problems at work with poorly made ISO image installed software.

Q4: Warranty Support? I'm one week 3, laptop 3 of an IT issue. Meanwhile I hear way better things from smaller companies using stipend BYOB and extended warranties at best buy.

I'm assuming there's some magic I'm not aware of behind the scenes? Or is HP just offering BJs to CTOs?

submitted by /u/Rabidgoosie
[link] [comments]

from IT https://ift.tt/2PwGsEj

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.