Do I need a technical degree to move up in IT? Or are certifications from various partners sufficient?

I'm 3 years into my career in ICT working for a large systems integrator as a junior offerings manager. I've worked in sales and sales operations in the first 1.5 years hence getting a tech degree never crossed my mind

I'm finding myself at crossroads as I'm asked to take on more responsibility to own tech offerings end to end, without much technical background. It makes me less confident to lead and have a say in decision points.

To make things more difficult, I've had 3 managers in the past year (there's only the manager and me in the team, and we work across departments on projects and strategy). So I feel I've missed out on key experience/knowledge from my manager to lead.

I'm doing as many certifications as I can, reading up where I can, but I feel like there's still a gap in tech knowledge to be able to lead strategy in a tech company.

Am I just doing something wrong? Or do I really need a master's in IT or engineering to move ahead?

TLDR : working in business job in IT, do I need a tech degree to move up?

EDIT: my degree was in psychology

submitted by /u/RubMyNeuron
[link] [comments]

from IT https://ift.tt/2IjwdlK

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.