Finding my feet as a DBA and in IT

I'm relatively new to an IT position having moved from a software development background. Parts of the job I find comfortable, I automate what I can and I'm very familiar with SQL as far as querying and generally working with databases goes.

That said, there's a whole part of the job that I'm struggling to adapt to. One of the goals is for me to act as DBA for our SQL Server databases, review maintenance plans, security and backups and make recommendations to ensure reliability and availability. I'm doing my best to learn this aspect of the field but it's slow going and the real problem is I still feel very far from being able to recommend anything to the rest of the department. I also feel incredibly slow when trying to determine the cause of errors using SQL Server logs.

I realize a lot of this knowledge will come in time with practice but I'm sure there's something more I could be doing to improve as an IT professional in general and in DBA-type tasks in particular so if anyone on this sub has some advice or recommended resources I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/BurdenAppreciated
[link] [comments]

from IT https://ift.tt/2TRoVHG

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.