IT / Technologist "All rounder, jack of all trades etc"

Hey guys, looking for some input on something. Ive been in IT now for about 15 years and have come to a point where I am an SME on only *one* thing, and a bit of a jack of all trades with everything else, or high level knowledge but no real deep understanding. The problem is that this one thing that I am an SME for (a financial trading software), is only used by one company in my city which makes me limited to job opportunities elsewhere and for family reasons I am unable to leave this city.

I have worked on things like:

  • Cisco Voice products
  • Automation Anywhere RPA
  • Splunk
  • App Dynamics
  • Infra (worked in a data center for a while building / troubleshooting / rackNstack etc
  • Scripting in python and bash (but am NOT a python dev, scripts have been very small / limited etc)

My question is, should I be worried? I feel most of my friends in the biz are either full stack devs, network engineers, architects etc and I am sitting here only able to fill roles where I am somewhat of an "All rounder" or a Business Analyst role, as I understand both sides..

Thx in advance

submitted by /u/burned9
[link] [comments]

from IT https://ift.tt/3iMsav6

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.